Type of threads and their characteristics
If you want to start a sewing project, there are many different types of threads that you can use, to know the different ones, continue reading this article.
“Only threads of great quality can guarantee a good manufactured garment, that is why Grupo Denim works with vendors compromised with the quality of their products, to make sure we only deliver garments that will strictly meet our customer’s specifications”, said Salomon Juan Marcos Villarreal, president of this company.
Here are the different threads that you can find:
- Cotton– This is the most popular thread, as it is easier to find and buy and it is manufactured in different weights, if you are getting this thread, we recommend you the mercerized one, as it is softer and the color is more consistent.
- Polyester – Covered with cotton, the polyester thread is also known as multipurpose, it has a center made of thread which makes it stronger and elastic and it is perfect to sew natural fibers and weaves.
- Silk – The 100% silk thread is made in a variety of colors and weights, it has a characteristic brightness that can enhance any look, it is strong and elastic and it is perfect to sew silk and wool.
- Nylon – This is a very resistant and invisible thread, it is mainly made in two colors: transparent and smoke, and it is great for light fabrics.
- Metallic – Metallic threads are bright colors, if you have decided to use them, keep in mind you have to take the necessary cautions with your sewing machines as these threads tend to accumulate static electricity.
“Although there are many different types of threads, it is important to only wear those of the highest quality, as this will ensure resistant seams”, added Salomon Juan Marcos Villarreal about this topic.